We are in the process of setting up a static custom domain website being hosted from an Azure storage account. While an Azure Storage Account can have a custom domain added to it, it doesn’t support the HTTPS protocol. Using an Azure CDN will allow both a custom domain, work with an SSL certificate giving HTTPS security.
Previous steps in Setting up a custom domain website being hosted from an Azure storage account:
- Hosting a Static Website from an Azure Storage Account
- How to Add a Custom Domain to an Azure Storage Account
- Create an Azure CDN
- Add an Azure Content Delivery Network Endpoint
These are the steps to migrate the custom domain which has already been added to a Storage Account hosting the website assets, to an Azure CDN endpoint.
- Navigate to the Azure Storage Account > Blob Service > Azure CDN > Migrate custom domains to CDN link > we will do Option 2 (since a custom domain is already created for the storage account (see image above)
2. In our DNS provider, a DNS CNAME mapping was added to the custom domain ‘demo-staticwebsite.alvarnet.com’ using the (cdnverify.demo-staticwebsite.alvarnet.com) pointing to the CDN endpoint name (cdnverify.demostaticwebsitesa.azureedge.net)
3. Navigate to Azure CDN Endpoint > Custom Domain > + Custom Domain > type in the Custom (Domain) hostname > Add
4. The custom domain is now been successfully associated with the CDN Endpoint – but note that the Custom HTTPS is yet disabled.
5. Double click on ‘Disabled‘ next to the Hostname/Custom Domain name (see image above) to open the Custom Domain blade of the CDN endpoint to be able to configure HTTPS. Select ON > Save :
6. The process of activating the custom domain HTTPS feature can take up to 8 hours. When completed, the 4 steps of Submitting request, Domain validation, Certificate provisioning and Complete will mean that the free managed certificate issued from the DigiCert CA will be functional on the custom domain/CDN endpoints.
Final Step to Setting up a custom domain website being hosted from an Azure storage account: