April 26, 2017 – 23 went
Data Analytics & Data Management Using Azure & PowerShell
• Quick introduction to Azure and PowerShell and why you should use them for data analytics and data management
• How to manage and send data queries to an Azure SQL database
• Creating HTML Reports in PowerShell
• Automation of third-party reports against a data source with PowerShell
• Manage Log Analytics (i.e. Operational Insights) data using Azure
Azure Binary Large Objects (i.e. Blobs) Storage is a cloud storage service that is durable, available, and scalable that serves a variety of purposes. Microsoft describes it as massively-scalable object storage for unstructured data on their microsite devoted to Blob storage. There are many reasons why you should consider using Blob storage. Perhaps you want to share files with clients or off-load some of the static content from your web servers to reduce the load on them.
Microsoft has several partners that provide tools and expertise to use Azure Blob Storage effectively. Some of these partners are highlighted on the Microsoft microsite devoted to Blob Storage as displayed below.
High Concurrency in SQL Server
January 27, 2017 – 63 attended
Ken Cenerelli welcoming everyone to the user group with news and updates from around the technology community. A warm welcome and introduction for the speaker: Michael Swart.
The latest version of PowerShell, version 5.1 was released for WS2012R2, WS2012, W8.1, W2008R2, W7 SP1 on 1/19/2017. The WMF 5.1 version of PowerShell is already running in WS2016 and W10 machines.
Install and Configure
WS2016 and W10:
Getting Up To Speed on ASP.NET Core & EF Core
January 19, 2017 – 50 went
Obi Oberoi & Ken Cenerelli getting ready for their presentation.
Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer (MASE) is a standalone app from Microsoft that allows you to easily work locally with Azure Storage data.
This free Azure tool from Microsoft can be installed locally on a client machine or remotely in on-premise or Azure VMs, for access on that machine to Azure Storage Accounts using:
- the Azure Storage account name and an Azure generated access key
- or SAS URI for Storage Accounts
This gives access to Azure Blob, Queue, Tables and File Shares Storage containers and contents without having to sign in to the Microsoft Azure Portal.
NOTE: MASE works for ARM and for Classic Storage Accounts; there are MAC, Windows and Linux versions for download.
For this example, the Azure web app has:
Enforcing HTTPS will redirect the HTTP, so web app users will always end up at the HTTPS site. This will be done be defining a rewrite rule in the web.config file for the web app.
January 12, 2017 – 38 went
Richard, Obi and Ehsan chatting before the start of the Lightning Talks presentations.
For this example of applying an SSL certificate:
- The web app has a custom domain applied that points to the Azure app. Read here for how to set up a custom domain for an Azure app.
- The web app is running in Basic 1 Tier (pricing/features)
- The SSL certificate has been purchased from a trusted certificate authority (CA), and is a wildcard certificate for use on multiple different domain websites on multiple servers, saved in .pfx format.
1.In Azure Portal > specific Web App > Settings > SSL certificates > Upload Certificate
An Azure (ARM) VM can conveniently be resized, up or down, while it is running, while stopped or while stopped(deallocated). To resize the OS or Data disk, however, the VM must be be stopped(deallocated).
In the following example, a VM was first resized up to a D2_V2 Standard machine from a Basic A2 machine, while it was Stopped (deallocated)
Then, it was resized back down to a Basic A2 machine. NOTE: This could have been accomplished while the machine was running also.
VM > Overview > Size > Choose a Size > Select